Monday, 11 July 2011

Nana Konadu Rawlings fails in NDC bid for presidency

Nana Konadu Rawlings, wife of Ghana's former president Jerry John Rawlings, has failed in her bid to secure a vote as the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC) party's presidential candidate in the 2012 election.

During a three-day NDC convention in Accra, Rawlings won a mere 3.1 per cent of the vote, with the remainder 96.9 per cent going to President John Atta Mills.

In his victory speech, Mills promised to rebuild bridges within the NDC caused by pressures pertaining to the contest. Speaking to the crowd, Mills said he wanted to ensure unity and show that all members of the NDC “belong to one party".

The outright victory followed Mills' success in all 10 regions with a total of 2771 votes; leaving the former First Lady firmly behind in the race with a mere 90 votes.

Mills gave assurance in his victory speech that “certain issues and concerns raised by the rank and file of membership of the party during his campaign will be addressed.” He also told party members and delegates: “Let us leave here a united party. There should be no bickering, no name calling, no divisive tendencies.”

The general consensus among NDC members was that it wasn't the right time for the party to change “the Yutong driver,” and that Mills is the best candidate to represent the NDC in next year's election.

Sources: BBC News, MyJoy Online, Ghana Web

For more news and expert analysis about Ghana, please see Ghana Politics & Security.

No comments:

Post a Comment