Thursday, 21 July 2011
British national killed in Aden car bomb explosion
An unnamed Yemeni official said the bomb was hidden under the vehicle. He said Al-Qa'ida is suspected to be behind the attack, adding: "The way the attack took place only proves that Al-Qa'ida has been watching his moves days prior to the attack.”
Speaking about the explosion to AFP news agency, another witness, Abdullah Al-Sharafi, described the aftermath, saying: "I heard the explosion, I hurried there and I found the car in pieces."
The UK Foreign Office confirmed a British national had been killed and advised British citizens not to travel to Yemen, urging all those who are there to "maintain a heightened level of vigilance and keep a low profile at all times…We believe that terrorists continue to threaten further attacks including in Sana'a, Aden and other urban areas."
Sources: BBC News, AFP, CNN
For more news and expert analysis about Yemen, please see Yemen Focus.