Thursday, 16 June 2011
NATO continues airstrike campaign on Tripoli
NATO is continuing its airstrike campaign in Tripoli, near the fortified Bab Al-Aziziya compound belonging to Colonel Mu'ammar Qadhafi. The compound has been a key target for months.
It is yet unclear if Qadhafi 's compound has been hit, or wether there have been casualties.
NATO began its air campaign nearly three months ago under a UN resolution to protect Libyan civilians. The country has been in turmoil for months. In March, the alliance imposed a no-fly zone over Libya when Qadhafi's forces threatened to overrun rebel held parts of the country.
A Russian envoy is currently in Tripoli for talks on ending the civil war. Mikhail Margelov, who met with rebel representatives in Benghazi last week, said NATO airstrikes are not a solution to Libya's violent deadlock.
According to the ITAR-Tass news agency, Margelov has already met with Libya's Foreign Minister Abdul-Ati Al-Obeidi and is planning a session with Prime Minister Mahmoud Al-Baghdadi.
Qadhafi's representatives have said the Leader would accept a ceasefire and political talks on the future of the country on the condition that he is allowed to keep his position.
Speaking about the situation, UK's Prime Minister David Cameron said the mission could be sustained as long as was needed, adding: "Time is on our side."
Sources: BBC News, Fox News, Bloomberg
For more news and expert analysis about Libya, please see Libya Focus and Libya Politics & Security.